#inden {text-indent: 25px }

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Lovely Language

Two novels I've recently picked up that have notable language are Gilead and Waxwings.

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson has as its narrator an old preacher who is writing a letter to his young son for the boy to read years after the preacher has died. The voice is simple and honest, and without being fancy-pants, it has a lyricism to it.

Waxwings by Jonathan Raban is realistic fiction set in Seattle. I've just started it so I'm vague about the storyline, but defintely taken with the images--such as a "dream-dashing" crash of a bicyle falling in the hall in the night.

category: reading

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home